Art Literacy Narrative

The Passion for Dance

The beauty of nature represents the artistic designs of our creator. Art is present in our blood to make us the best imitator in this universe. It’s all by the grace of God. Our every day is filled with experiences, learning, imitation and so much more. All of this stuff makes us, humans the universal leaders of creativity.

Like most people, I liked watching television, when I was growing up. Even though we may not consider it as an imitation device, but it is one of the biggest sources of information. When I was about eight years old, I started to watch a reality dance-based competition show. Which constituted of three judges who were responsible for the selection of dancers throughout the auditions. Most of these dancers were between the ages of 8 to 12. I loved watching the fascinating dance moves of these kids.

Dance, for me, is a fuel of positive energy. It always puts a smile on my face. I believe the best thing about dance is that it spreads happiness by letting people forget the worries of their life; more so, it is an escape from reality for time being. Watching the show, soon my imitation skills started emerging and I began copying all the dance moves. The big mirror in front of my dressing table was my practice place for dancing. I tried dance steps in front of the mirror until I performed them perfectly. With time I got improved to the point where I was confident enough to perform in front of my parents. I left them stunned and astounded with my dance moves which earned me a great deal of appreciation and encouragement.

After almost a year of practice, I got a chance to perform in the middle of a crowd of hundreds of people. Thanks to my uncle’s wedding anniversary. My uncle Usman wanted me to perform a dance for him at the wedding. I accepted the challenge and began preparing for the big event. One of my cousins, Ali Akbar was quite interested in dance performance and wanted to join me. We both did a ton of practice for the Banghra dance. Banghra is a special type of cultural dance famous in the Punjab region of Pakistan. For banghra, people wear traditional clothes like ‘Kurta Shalwar’ and perform on the drum beats. Kurta Shalwar is a dress for both genders, which includes (Shalwar) and shirts (kurta) mostly made up of cotton. For all these dresses, the pants are always white, and the shirts could be any color.

Soon the day came and we were confident about our preparations. My uncle called a band of seven people with drums, flute, and bagpipes. Around 2PM, my cousin and I left for the wedding hall. When we arrived in front of the wedding hall there was a huge crowd waiting for us. They started to play the musical beats and we were performing a dance in the middle of a circular crowd. We tried to present each of the dance moves that we learned. After a minute the music just hit my head so hard that I forgot everything and it was just my body and music in sync in such a way that I had no control over myself anymore. That time I saw people throwing a ton of money over our heads, one of the wedding cultural traditions in our country. All my nervousness and my anxiety had ceased by this time. All I knew was that I was enjoying every bit of the dance.

I strongly believe that an experience like this can have a huge impact on a person. It changed my perspective about life. I learned that nature is a healing instrument with its divine power, significant enough to end our worries. That day my confidence and happiness were at the top of everything because I made myself feel special and worthy. The applause and cheering of audience was enough to make me feel proud. I think, a heavy connection between nature and happiness exists. Nature has everything to offer and I think we all should take advantage of this. I want everyone to try to connect themselves with nature, so they can feel the positive vibes in life. To this day, I still sometimes free myself and just dance, still its positive energy is extremely effective. I hope everyone discovers the nature and its features.